The Healthy Kids Learn Better Coalition is a statewide partnership of organizations and individuals working collectively to promote policies and programs that will reduce physical, social and emotional barriers to learning. Our goal is to build supportive funding, leadership and policies on the connections between health and education in order to keep kids safe, healthy, and ready to learn.
The HKLB Coalition engages in policy advocacy to support the health and well-being of kids, youth, and schools. Our vision is that all youth in Oregon have the opportunity to be healthy and successful learners who contribute positively to their communities.
To better support both health and educational outcomes, we seek to address the following goals:
- Adequately funding schools and their partners to address physical, social and emotional barriers to learning.
- Collecting and using data on factors that promote and detract from healthy youth and families.
- Ensuring access for youth and families to health services.
- Providing school aged youth with the knowledge, skills and opportunity to adopt lifelong healthy behaviors and physically active lifestyles.
- Maintaining safe and healthy school facilities and climates for all members of the school community.